Monday, February 13, 2017

Interesting & Bad Uses of Color


This photo is from a production at the University of Florida, however, the play or performance the picture was taken from is not specified on the website. I thought this was a very interesting use of color. It is very clear that it is meant to imitate a sunset, the colors also make the performers stand out in the environment being represented. I was also drawn in by the colored light coming from behind them.


This image is not an effective use of color, in my opinion. The intensity of the light washes out the actress that is meant to be the focus. The colors on the boat in the background also fail to set a mood, but rather just seem to be used to make it less distracting. It may be an attempt at a dawn or dusk but this is not clear with the red/purple color used.

3 comments:

  1. I've mentioned before that I'm a huge fan of silhouettes, so I'm already in love with the first photo. The warm colors and the actors' bodies give off a tribal tone that I enjoy.
    For the second photo...I hope that was just a bad picture. I also agree with the colors on the boat; I'm not sure if they're set to a mood. It would help if we could find what show this is from and what this solo is about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really like the lighting in the top photo because of the silhouettes. I think that this type of lighting helps the audience focus on the movements of the actors rather than on their appearance. The color could also signify anger or love, or maybe even a sunset.
    I do think the second photo was most likely a bad photo, but maybe the light really did make her seem more overexposed than she should have been. If that was the case, then she would definitely be main focal point, but not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silhouettes and shadows are always interesting to me. I really love how the bright warm colors highlight the forms and lines of the actors/dancers' bodies so intensely.
    The second photo does kind of just looks like a poor photograph. I'm fairly certain it's from the Cole Porter musical Anything Goes, so the colors make sense in the context of the show. But yeah, that spotlight seems to be way too intense and washes the actress out entirely.

    ReplyDelete