Wednesday, February 8, 2017


This is a photo I took at a restaurant by complete accident. I want moving to take a picture of my cousins, but I guess my finger slipped before I got pointed in the right direction. However, it's a fantastically non-blurry photo, and, in terms of lighting, is dynamic and interesting. On the right, there is the warm, yellow glow of a candle centered on the table, creating a dynamically bent shadow of the knife on my plate. On the left, the cool blue light of the windows creates interesting patterns the plate, giving my fork almost a double shadow.


This is a picture of one of the hallways in my high school. I had to arrive by 6:30AM every day for choir, and was always one of the first people in the building. When I took the picture, I just thought it was cool to show my friends how early I had to be at school. Looking back, this is a fantastic perspective shot, and features the creepy, artificial light of one distant fluorescent. The reflections off the polished floor are distinct, but at the same time, blurry and unfocused. Overall, just a really interesting photo!

4 comments:

  1. The first thing I noticed in the first photo is that warm-cool color contrast, so I'm glad you pointed it out. I'm also glad that you mentioned how the light comes a candle because I was curious. For the second photo, I think that in addition to the creepy mood being created by the one light, I also think it emphasizes determination because it shows how you're in school to do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the lighting in the second photo. It's almost kind of like a spotlight, wanting you to move forward. It would have been interesting if there was someone standing directly under the light because then only parts of their face and body would be lit, making them seem more mysterious/creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The surface of the tile floor creates a rippling reflection of the right and left sides of the hallway similar to the way a body of water does. The ceiling fixture doesn't cast a big pool of light on the floor, but it does reflect off the many "shiny" surfaces - the floor tiles, the metal lockers, the brown doors, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love these pictures and how unintentional they are. I like the way the shape of the plate bends the shadow of the knife, I never really thought about the way that the things light hits can change the shape of it. Also the lockers were red in one of the hallways of my high school too! I really like the glare from the fluorescent light on the floor and the walls and how it plays with the symmetry of the space.

    ReplyDelete