Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Interesting lighting in Theater


It is difficult to determine "bad" color when I don't know what the intention of the piece is. However, I don't think it was the intention to have the light sources visible as well as the light trail. If it was, I would consider that an interesting choice. This is from the set to Beauty and the Beast. The blue colors give the appearance of moonlight coming from different places into different windows, which is not a good choice in my opinion since moonlight should only come from one place.

Image result for theater lighting
This is another interesting photo of lighting having a more significant effect on what is going on in the play. Here there is a character that is backlit with a spotlight while another one is lit by a pool of light with a design, like a gobo. It was an interesting choice to make the color for each character's light so different in temperature. The spotlight is much brighter and warmer than the other light, but I wouldn't judge on whether or not it was a bad choice on the designer's part.

2 comments:

  1. For the top photo, I agree that it is interesting lighting. Maybe they were trying to create the effect of light going through stained glass which is why the light spreads out throughout the entire space.
    For the second photo, I like how the two characters each have their own spotlight, but they're distinct spotlights. It almost makes the character on the left seem more like a ghostly figure or like a subconscious to the character on the right. The light seems to make the shirt on the right person way too bright, but it's possible that effect came from the photo itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like with the top photo, the lighting that we are seeing may not have been exactly what it looked like. I feel like the light that spilled through seems to be a bit more focused / the camera may have intensified the trailing spotlight look. I do agree that the color choice makes it seem like there are multiple moons out, and they should have either gone with a single light with that purpose.

    I really like the way the characters are lit in the second photo, especially with the variance between the two. I feel like this, along with the decisions in color, really creates a unique scene.

    ReplyDelete