Thursday, February 2, 2017

Directional Lighting

I chose some pretty bizarre photos for this post, but I did so in order to show directional lighting more clearly.


When looking at this photo, you can see this spherical object is clearly lit from the right side. There is a stark contrast in highlight and shadow on the sphere, and it casts a long shadow to its left. You can tell the light cast from the source is perpendicular to the viewer's gaze because of the shadow created.


This photo is also clearly lit from one side, the left. But the light cast from the source is not perpendicular to the viewer, so the shadow the subject casts looks diagonal. The subject's stomach and face are the most highlighted, and the subject has some cast shadows on their face.


5 comments:

  1. I really love these photos. It's cool how a photo can look based on where a subject is standing in front of lighting. My favorite is definitely the second photo because of how the lights casts a shadow of the subject's stomach. It gives me this feeling of life and humanity that I'm in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, the top photo looks like an egg. I think the shadow it creates is really great. The stark line of dark on the side without light is really great at connecting the shadow and the object. The use of lights give this photo a sense of motion. Sort of like a comet, but static.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first photo makes me think of the moon, or a model of the moon. The shadow cast on half of the ball makes me think of the different phases of the moon. I really like how the spherical shape of the ball is no longer present in the shadow. The ellipsoid shadow that is generated is sharp at the beginning then fades at the ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your photos are kind of similar to each other. The light on the pregnant lady is neat because it perfectly lights her face and belly (her dark clothes help create contrast) and the light hits the lighter floor in a way that I think makes the photo a lot more dramatic.

    ReplyDelete