Saturday, February 18, 2017

Interesting Theatre Lighting




This lighting design is most interesting to me because despite it's appropriate color choices, I can't say where the focal point of the scene is. The use of red clearly captures the essence of passion and blood, supported by the actors on the ground, but I think it may have been more effective if it was used as a front light rather than back light. I'm most drawn to the red rectangles in the background, with my attention turning to the action second. The contrasting blue light helps to round out the dramatic tone of the scene, yet it's brightness is so low that the actors are mostly in shadow.


I much prefer this design to the first, and think the color choices are tasteful and poignant. This example of red back light creates a feeling of love, which fits the three couples pictured downstage, highlighted by the yellow down light. These isolated pools of yellow have a gold quality to them,  suggesting that the subjects within them are somewhat of a treasure. The band in the back is still adequately lit yet not distracting, and the whole stage has a very cohesive look. 

4 comments:

  1. I agree completely with your comment on the first photo. I think having dark/shadow on one part of the stage and the light on the other is not a great choice. The right side looks very washed out. The background colors are stunning though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you in the first image because my eyes are also drawn to the red background as well as the shadows. I think the white shirts reflect the light, although I am unsure if this was intentional or not. Because of this, my eyes are also drawn to them. In the second picture, I like how the couples have individual lights on them. It is clear who are the focus of the scene, yet the band is not left out of the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comments in the first image. I think a lot of the actors in the first image are covered as a result of the shadows created across the stage, which definitely draws the attention slightly away from the actors. I do like the juxtaposition of the two sides compared to each other, however, the people in the black shirts on stage right could stand to be illuminated slightly more, as to balance out their outfits, which gives the illusion that the people in white shirts are a higher focal point.

    ReplyDelete