Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Interesting/Bad Coloring

This is a picture from the Broadway production of the Lion King. I really like the the the theater uses warm orange and red colors to capture the natural colors of a savannah sunset. The lighting is also used only in the background so that only the silhouettes of the characters in the foreground are seen, giving the illusion of real animals. 
I am not sure what production this pictures is from, but I enjoy the use of the hanging light bulbs in the background emulating stars. From what I can tell, this pictures is depicting a flood or similar natural disaster. The use of a reflective ground makes the set look like water.


4 comments:

  1. I really like the light bulbs in the second photo! They're obviously light bulbs, but it's cool to have the audience use their imagination to recognize them as stars. However, I'm very confused with the orange lighting. Where is it coming from, and what is it supposed to represent?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore the lighting in the second photo! Not only the hanging bulbs (which are so pretty and different from regular stage lighting), but the warm colors of the house contrasting with the cool blues on the other half of the stage. I also really like the choice of the design team to make the floor so reflective, which catches the light of the bulbs and just makes everything seem so ethereal and magical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first picture, it makes me feel like I'm actually on a African SAfari. I can smell the giraffes, just as the lion can smell my fear on the plains of the sahara.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second picture is so cool because it gives the illusion of a sinking ship not just with the angle of the boats but with the angle of the lights reflecting off the sinking ship and the blue wash on the ground.

    ReplyDelete