Thursday, February 23, 2017

Movement in light

I thought this fit nicely with the idea of moving lights. It relates to Lady Gaga's Superbowl halftime show we watched in class. It's Disney and Intel's Drone Christmas show, and the lights are definitely used to create an illusion. I think its really amazing that they are able to have that many lights working together so seamlessly.
This is really spectacular. The lights are moved by the people in the "forest". It gives the illusion of a forest by the set up of the light, but the people are a very important part of the work. Without the interaction it would just be a bunch of green light fixtures standing still across the space; having the lights be stagnant obviously takes away from the idea of a forest.

4 comments:

  1. Drone lighting is my new favorite thing like, ever. It's so cool that we've progressed technology to basically use the entire sky as a canvas for creating brilliant light shows. The technology behind planning and designing, then finally executing, these incredible shows is amazing to imagine. I really liked all of the birds created in the first video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy how they are able to plan where the drones will be and what formations they have to be in to be able to give the illusion of the Christmas tree, for example. I also think it's funny how there had to have been drone formation practices in order to make sure the images were visible and understandable.
    For the second video, I really like how the lights are interactive to the public. It gives a chance to control the lights on their own rather than watch someone else control it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the drones in the first video are absolutely amazing and kind of just shows you how far we've come with technology as Alexandra said above. I don't think I have personally ever seen anything like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The drones video is intense, I assume they all can't be controlled individually because that seems like they would all crash together but I don't understand how they do that. The forest video was really cool though!! I agree that it would look much different without the humans moving them

    ReplyDelete