Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Creating Movement with Lighting


In this video, the designer uses both projections and front lighting to create the illusion of movement. One of the scenes is of a rising sun, using projections to begin the image down left, before showing it rise to the sky. Orange light was then cast on the top of the structure to complete the entire image, which soon morphed in to a flag. The layering of the two gave depth to the design, making the images appear more realistic. I really liked the way that the designer used pools of darkness throughout parts of the piece, it drew  my eye in closer and helped me know where to focus my attention during the show.

In this Taiwanese dance club, the ceiling features hanging strands of lights which work in sync to create the pulsing images seen above. Individual bulbs of light run up and down each strand, but the images appear to ripple across the entire ceiling. It's flawlessly timed to the music, which I think amplifies the illusion of movement.

4 comments:

  1. The ceiling from the second video looks almost 3d. The way the lights form waves and ripples on the ceiling gives the illusion that the lights are coming out of the ceiling. Also, syncing the music to the lights gives the production another layer of feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I knew what the narrator was saying in the 1st video. Other than that, I like how the designers were able to have their designs make a story on a building. My favorite part starts at 2:08, where I'm assuming the building is crying after being vandalized and neglected for so long. I enjoy the illusion used to personalize it; I think it could be used to have somewhat of an effect on the audience's emotions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its definitely hard to believe that the lights in the second video are static. The way it is synced to music makes me wonder if they used a program like the one we learned about in class where the cues actually go in accordance to parts of the music. If so they must plan everything beforehand, and if they don't do either of those I cannot even imagine the kind of technology they would need/have. Its a really interesting use of lights!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I noticed the same thing as Daniel. The length of the strands hanging down create a third dimension and that's how they are able to have the pulsing effects. I would imagine the program for the lights would allow for the rate of the pulsing and moving to be easily altered to the beat of the music set by the DJ.

    ReplyDelete