Wednesday, February 22, 2017

Dancing with Moving lights

This first one is one of the segments from Britain's Got Talent. They reminded me of the handheld lights in Lady Gaga's Halftime Show. These actually appear controlled by pre-programmed lighting in the suits rather than by location tracking. The fact that they turn off and on in strategic ways make it look like there are only three characters at a time that move in unreal ways and "teleport" when lights turn on and off, creating really impressive and unique effects.

The interesting lighting and moving fixtures of this dance begins at 2:40 of the video, but the point where I noticed moving lights really being intentionally utilized is after 3:25 where the lights follow the moving circle, enhancing the feeling that the group is surrounding and essentially crowding the individual in the middle. This idea is that the lights move around to create chaos and confusion for the dancer in white, but then focus in the center to create the feeling of suppression. After a while, there is a contrast with spotlights following a single dancer, making that individual seem as if they are alone and have freedom to do as they will.

4 comments:

  1. I really like the first video. The way the lighting interacts with the people almost make it look digitally made. My favorite part of the video is around 2:14 with the people complete each other movements to create a kinda robotic scene. Also, although there are only 5 dancers, the use of lights and movement make it seem like a lot more people are on stage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the first video, I think the lights in the costume helped to emphasize and enhance a lot of the action happening on stage, like the line they did around 2:27. My favorite parts are at 2:24 and 2:43-2:46 because the light changes between each dancer almost makes me think that there are different scenes taking place at the same time and on the same stage. PS: I couldn't even keep track of how many dancers there were, so I paused the video at the end of the dance to count!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree with that you said about in the second video it really looked like there was a lot done to make the person in white dress stand out and I think the lighting was a key element of that. For the first video I was really confused cause I just skipped forward to the dancing part and I thought that one guy was some how doing all of the different people - he wasn't there were a lot more than one person. But I think its interesting like you said that the on and off of the lights made it seem like there was a different number of people there than there actually were. Also impressive of those dancers to move around so well in complete darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the first video, I think it is really interesting how those people made it look like there were people moving. I like the way the lights really went with the music as well. In the second video I think it is interesting how there are some lights that light on people in different colors, such as at 6:44. It is also intriguing how there appear to be only one shadow of someone when there are multiple lights.

    ReplyDelete