Thursday, February 16, 2017

Satisfactory & Unsatisfactory Lighting

A photo from a production of Shakespeare's MacBeth
I think this lighting design looks incredibly gaudy, and I am not a fan. I appreciate big choices, but this one feels way too in my face. Granted, I have very little context for this show and the other artistic choices throughout. I do know, however, that this is from a production of Macbeth. I don't want to knock the designer's choices without seeing the entire show because this setup could be extremely effective within the setting of an entire show. But my gut reaction when I came across this photo was negative - I actually flinched.

A photo from a production of Sally Nemeth's Holy Days
This lighting design, however, is extremely appealing to me. The show is about two couples during the Dust Bowl and the Great Depression. While I don't know the play's plot, I feel like this design conveys everything it needs to in a much more subtle manner. The lighting is fairly stark other than washing the stage a golden yellow to convey dust and sand. I can feel the sun pounding down on the characters' backs and the desert heat rising up from the floor. 

3 comments:

  1. I really like the use of lighting in the second photo. As you mentioned, the use of fixtures on the lighting give the appearance of a desert floor. I also like how the people in the house are lit just enough to show make them the center of the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first picture, I actually really like the small pool of yellow light, up stage right. The rest of the design is a mess, but I do like the color choices. The second image has a really balanced lighting design, and the yellow quality brings out the desert landscape of the set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see why you dislike the first picture. I think what I didn't agree with in terms of choice is the difference in the color temperatures. There's the bright yellow lights that make it seem as it is daylight, which are mixed in with the cooler colors in a way that is not compatible in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete