Wednesday, January 25, 2017


This painting is called "Cristo deriso" by Trophime Bigot. Here, the only light we can see is coming from the lamp in between the two men, while darkness surrounds them. I like the intensity of the light from the lamp, because it makes you focus on the details on the faces of the two men before anything else. It makes the moment between the two appear more intense.


This painting is called "The Haarlemmermeer on a Cloudy Day, with a Distant View of the Church of Saint Bavo, Haarlem" by Jan Josefsz Goyen. I like how you can see the sunlight come through and reflect on the clouds themselves. You can see the light reflecting off parts of the water, but not on the grass or the people. You can tell it's an overcast day, but you know what the light source is.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with the idea that the light makes you focus on the two men, and I think it is very realistic in this way. I also noticed that there is some light coming from the head of the man on the right. This could show the importance of this man. I also think the lack of other lighting makes me feel like they are in a cave of some sort. In the second painting, there is no clear light source, yet there is light. There are reflections of the light in the water which is shown through the whiteness. The dark and light clouds indicate light.

      Delete
  2. I really like the portrayal of sunlight in the second painting. I agree that it's really interesting, how the painter shows the light of the sun through reflections rather than rays of light or shadows on the land. It's almost like, if someone were not aware that the sun gives off so much light, they would have trouble identifying what the main source of light was at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a big fan of your second photo because I love the overcast sky and how it makes the rest of the world look. This I think is always so hard to express accurately in art but I think this painting somehow managed to pull it off because there is a brightness to the painting but still it feels cold.

    ReplyDelete