Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Moody Lighting


This photo is from a movie called The Missing Person. I think it is a good example of moody lighting because of how the man isn't directly lit. He is being lit on one side of his face with a pinkish-red light so your attention is drawn to that part of his face while the rest of the lighting is really dim. It makes you wonder what is happening that is causing this bright light and it contrasts from the look on his face.

This picture is from the movie I Am Henry. I think the moody lighting in this setting gives off a very creepy and mysterious vibe. The audience isn't able to see much from the candlelight, and the figure in the center is mostly lit from the sides. At first glance, you aren't sure whether or not the figure is an actual person. While candlelight could be seen as romantic in some cases, it definitely isn't in this one.

3 comments:

  1. For the first photo, I like how the light works with the actor's face to establish an overall mood. I think the man looks sad, but the red light gives of a bit of anger. As I continue to look at the photo, I start to focus more on his eyes and I see more anger there than anywhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about the creepy and mysterious vibe given off in the second picture. I like how everything around the man is lowly lit and there is almost no lighting around his face, producing an even scarier mood from the darkness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The person's face in the top picture does look sad and maybe worn out, and the lighting adds to that. The light is coming from the side though the character stares straight to the camera. The color, as you said, along with the intensity of the light do draw attention and contribute to the intense mood.

    ReplyDelete