Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Gobos/Texture Lighting

The main thing that attracts me to this photo is the actor facing toward the light as if it's an actual window. It makes the pattern much more believable. I also like the warm/cool color contrast between the window lights and the purple lighting. To me, the purple lights create the feeling of mystery and the contrast with the actor by himself makes a feeling of loneliness.

The decor already establishes a beach theme, but the lighting makes it even more lively. The bubble and wave effects contribute even more to the idea of being in an ocean. In my opinion, the yellow flooring doesn't need any special lighting. If it had a basic wash of lights, it'd look more like sand leading to the water and create an even greater entrance through the curtains.

4 comments:

  1. These designs are really cool and seem to be extremely useful for their expected purposes. The first picture is very simple yet very powerful. I also really enjoy the bubbles in the second picture. If it didn't have the extra patterns, the theme would still be there, but it wouldn't be as effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the top photo, I like the contrast between the purple around the bedroom and the warmer light contrast. I feel like the purple lighting makes the room appear colder compared to the orange light coming through the gobo. It makes it seem as if something huge is happening just outside the bedroom even if we aren't sure of what it is exactly.
    For the bottom photo, I agree that the lights make the scenery look more alive as if the event was indeed underwater.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In the first photo, I agree with you about the way the actor faces the direction of the light to make the light and gobo appear to be a window. I think it is also interesting how the gobo matches the design on the wall behind the man. In the second picture, I think it is really nice how the gobos make the lights resemble bubbles on the curtains. On the stage, or floor, it is as if there is sunlight getting through in specific spots. I think this adds the underwater theme because it is like light shining through the water if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how the gobo they used for the lighting in the second photo is very simple. It really adds balance while still contributing to the theme, since the scenery is very loud. I also noticed that the lighting on the floor is at an angle, which reminds me of how light is bent through water. Overall its a very cool effect being achieved.

    ReplyDelete