Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Mood in Lighting

Image result for mood lighting
This set is from the rock musical next to normal, which is about a mother struggling with bipolar disorder. The lighting for this set gives off a gloomy, ominous feeling, and I would believe it if I was told that that is the intent.

This picture I took at my church in Houston. There is a lot of purple used here, which is usually a color of royalty and regality. Here it gives off a pleasant mood. This is during the singing portion of service where the band and the music are very lively but with controlled excitement.

3 comments:

  1. For the first photo, I like how they added a gobo/texture piece with the lighting. It sort of makes the lights look like ghosts or nighttime fog, so that with the single light on the house helps with the gloomy feeling that you've mentioned. The second photo reminds me why I loved being part of lighting crew at my church last summer: it was so cool having the light cues match the music and create the entire vibe of the room. My church tends to use purple for the slow song at the end, so it's cool to see it used for a song with a different tempo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first photo, the lighting makes the setting look like it's nighttime. I do like the addition of the gobo because it adds to the creepiness of the night. The lighting also isn't super intense, so you really have to be paying attention because there might be action within the shadows as well.
    In the second photo, I think the purple lighting helps create a really calm and happy mood inside the church. It looks like they have some spotlights to focus on the band playing, but I do like how most of the light is purple and relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment on the second picture. The cool colors are very calming effect, but the amount of light make it seem active. It gives the vibe of a concert but more chill, which seems appropriate for a church service. Really great use of lighting to create mood.

    ReplyDelete