Wednesday, March 1, 2017


I really like how the spotlight draws the audience's eyes toward the bottom level of the stage, but the actor is not in the middle. It throws some interesting shadows on the walls behind the actor, and couples well with the blue and gold textured lighting on the ceiling, and the soft white focus on the back curtain. 


I absolutely adore how the light is directed so intensely on the top of the staircase, and how is flows in an almost solid state down the staircase and onto the floor. The rest of the stage in either in shadow or entirely dark, and the actors at the bottom of the staircase are only lightly lit. I just love how solid and intense the lighting is--you are forced to look exactly where the light comes from, taking away from everything else on stage.

3 comments:

  1. I've mentioned before that I'm a fan of silhouettes, so the second photo is a new favorite of mine. With that light being the brightest on stage, I think it corresponds with the actors' blocking to create a power dynamic between those at the bottom of the staircase and the one at the top. I'm curious to do what play this is from so I knew if the character at the top of the stairs is good or evil. The bright light is heavenly, but I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your first image is also really interesting because it almost seems like the spotlight is reflected on the set above the actor but it is still clear that the actor is what we are supposed to be looking at. In your second image I really like the light streaming behind the actor like you mentioned but I also like that there are two whiter lights (instead of yellow) coming from in front of the actor so they are not completely in silhouette which makes it very clear they are the center focus at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the way the second photo uses multiple spotlights to highlight not only the main character on top of the stairs, but the two guys below him as well. Also I think the fact that the spotlights are shining behind the main individual, blocking out his face, creates a really cool visual effect.

    ReplyDelete