Thursday, March 23, 2017

Gobos/Textures


In the top photo, it looks as if there is a gobo or texture being used in order to give the illusion of trees' shadows. I think the gobo helps make the scene look more mysterious and emphasize that it is nighttime; it also helps the audience be sure that the actor is outside of the house. The cool tone of the light also helps the two actors stand out since their spotlights are warmer tones. 


I really like the light texture in this photo. I think this could be used in a scene where something surreal was happening. Maybe it could also be used to represent being underwater or a mystical event. I think this lighting would have to be carefully used in order to make sure it is not overused. This texture would definitely signify something important happening in the play.

5 comments:

  1. I probably wouldn't have thought about the gobo in the first photo creating an illusion of tree. I'm glad you pointed that out! In addition to the gobo helping to define the character being outside, I also think his paler spotlight helps as well. Maybe the other characters' warmer spotlight is supposed to represent indoor lighting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the first photo, I think it is effective how the gobo on the stage looks like the shadows of a tree. I think this, along with the color of the light adds to the nighttime setting of the scene. In the second image, I think the gobo and light reminds me of light in water. It also creates a scale-like texture which adds to the underwater effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comment about the second photo. Its very aesthetically pleasing and it definitely looks like a glass gobo was used. I also get the water feeling; my first thought was a scene with someone drowning and perhaps giving a monologue, when I saw it (if that makes any sense). Its very beautiful texturally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the second photo and the way the texturing creates that underwater feeling, like you said. There is something that is just stunning with how the light is able to create just those rounded blobs.
    The first photo definitely shows a nice use of textured light, as it is extremely subtle, but at the same time completes the scene in a way. Without it, the play would likely be just fine, but, without a doubt, it does add to the scene at hand. I also do like the bit of warm light to have the actors stand out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first design is breathtaking! It strikes me as a still from Romeo & Juliet, using the gobo to cast the effect of "nighttime" upon the actor downstage. In fact, it strikes me more of water than it does of trees, reminding me of the iconic water scene from Luhrmann's production of the show. The second design has a similar effect, but draws focus to the space instead.

    ReplyDelete